Monday, October 20, 2014

Tamales; Fast and Delicious Mexican Meals

I've always been a fan of Mexican and Hispanic food so I was super excited to try this cookbook. My cooking experience has primarily been limited to tacos and enchiladas, and this book seemed like a great way to branch out.

Alice Guadalupe Tapp's "Tamales:Fast and Delicious Mexican Meals" breaks down an intimidating food into a manageable process for the adventurous cook. Unlike some of the other cookbooks I've reviewed recentl, this was much more user friendly. Ingredients are pretty straightforward. Other than some of the chapter of "Nose-to-Tail Tamales" which uses everything, from nose to tail, you should be able to find all ingredients in your local grocery store.

I haven't had a chance to try anything yet with midterms and lab reports and whatnot, but I've picked out the Sirloin Beef tamales, a bit of a splurge for a college student with the sirloin, but looks extremely promising. The instructions are clear without being overly descriptive (like the Bahn Mi Book) and ingredients are all easy to find (unlike Cerviche, Peruvian Kitchen)

I'll write up and update once Matt and I get a chance to make these.

UPDATE: THEY WERE DELICIOUS. We made the pork tamales, and the dessert tamales with bananas and nutella. The ingredients were straightforward (other than finding the masa) and we used parchment paper instead of corn husks. Once assembled, the tamales steam and its very low intensity. Absolutely recommended :)

Overall thoughts on this cookbook: Very good if you like tamales. Straightforward instructions using accessible ingredients that shouldn't be too expensive. Definitely recommended for any Mexican food fan who doesn't mind trying something a bit more adventurous.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. However, all the opinions are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment